CHEYENNE, Wyo. — Thanksgiving is the peak day for home cooking fires, and the Laramie County Combined Communications Center team is reminding residents to be mindful when cooking.
They can help prevent a turkey fryer fire by considering the following tips:
- Turkey fryers can easily tip over, spilling hot cooking oil over a large area.
- An overfilled cooking pot will cause cooking oil to spill when the turkey is put in, and a partially frozen turkey will cause cooking oil to splatter when put in the pot.
- Even a small amount of cooking oil spilling on a hot burner can cause a large fire.
- Without thermostat controls, deep fryers can overheat oil to the point of starting a fire.
- The sides of the cooking pot, lid and pot handles can get dangerously hot.
- Never deep-fry a frozen turkey