Over 550,000 readers this year!

Local and state agencies send reminders for winter preparedness procedures


CHEYENNE, Wyo. — With an increasing number of Wyoming’s population coming from out of state and with winter blizzard advisories issued for this week, local and state agencies are instructing new residents on how to prepare themselves for the snowy season. 

The National Weather Report of Cheyenne issued a blizzard warning Monday through Wednesday for regions between Chadron, Lusk and Douglas, including Cheyenne.

This week, Cheyenne residents can expect to see a 10% chance of snow before 5 p.m. on Monday and a 70% chance of snow after 11 p.m. On Tuesday, there will be a 60% chance of snow after 10 a.m. with a 60% chance of snow before 11 p.m. On Wednesday, there will be a 40% chance of snow before 11 a.m., with winds at up to 50 mph. 


Officials from Laramie County Firefighters are advising the public to stay up to date on all weather and travel conditions. Roads can be snowy and slick, Cheyenne Firefighters stated in a Facebook post, and if residents plan to drive in the area they should do so slowly and cautiously and avoid traveling if hazardous weather conditions exist.

The Wyoming Department of Transportation advises that residents with vehicles keep in mind the following:

  • Make sure tires are inflated and brakes are in good working order
  • Replace old windshield wiper blades and add windshield antifreeze to window cleaning fluid
  • Keep fuel tanks full and check all other engine fluid levels
  • Ensure headlights, taillights and turn signals are functioning properly
  • Keep all lights free of ice and snow and use low beams when driving through snow
  • Clean snow off your shoes before you get in the car as slippery accelerator and brake pedals are a safety hazard

With winter storms comes the possibility of being snowed in or cut off from main sources of heat and electricity. In those cases, the Wyoming National Weather service recommends that residents arrange an emergency preparedness kit equipped with the following:

  • Flashlight with extra batteries
  • Battery-powered NOAA All-Hazards Weather Radio
  • Extra food and water
  • Extra medicine and baby items
  • First-aid supplies
  • Heating fuel
  • Emergency heat source
  • Fire extinguisher, smoke alarm

For more information on staying safe in snowy driving conditions, visit https://www.dot.state.wy.us/home/travel/winter.html.

For more information on emergency preparedness, visit https://www.weather.gov/riw/wwwad_home.