CHEYENNE, Wyo. — Residents in Cheyenne and surrounding areas are heading into a significant weather shift as a storm system makes its way through the region this Wednesday into Thursday. The National Weather Service in Cheyenne is forecasting accumulating mountain snowfall as well as scattered rain and snow showers in the valleys, followed by strong winds.
Wednesday marks the onset of the storm system, with initial light precipitation starting in central Wyoming. By afternoon, the Sierra Madre mountains are set to receive heavy snowfall, with a winter storm warning in effect for an expected 18–24 inches of snow. The Snowy Mountains, due to shadowing effects, will see less accumulation, but are still under a winter weather advisory.
Storms like this west of Laramie tend to close Interstate 80, especially with predicted winds. Residents should keep an eye on road reports if planning any travel.
Post-storm, late Wednesday into Thursday, the region braces for elevated to high winds, though the strongest gusts are anticipated north and east of Cheyenne, sparing the city from the most severe wind impacts. Wind-prone areas may still experience gusts of 35–45 mph.
The storm’s passage doesn’t mark the end of the week’s weather story. An unsettled pattern persists through the weekend, with additional shortwaves bringing light snowfall mainly to the mountains. Despite this, the long-term forecast suggests a quiet Sunday and Monday, with temperatures returning to seasonal norms by early next week.
Detailed Forecast for Cheyenne
- Today: There is a 40% chance of rain and snow showers before 4 p.m., turning to a slight chance of rain showers between 4 and 5 p.m. and then a slight chance of rain and snow showers after 5 p.m. It will be mostly cloudy with a high near 49, accompanied by a west wind of 5–10 mph.
- Tonight: The evening will be mostly cloudy and breezy with a low of around 29. Expect a west wind of 10–20 mph with gusts as high as 30 mph.
- Thursday: The day will be partly sunny and breezy with a high near 42. Winds will come from the west-northwest at 20–25 mph, with gusts of up to 35 mph.
- Thursday Night: There’s a 20% chance of snow showers before midnight. Skies will turn partly cloudy with a low around 21 and a west-northwest wind of 10–15 mph.
- Friday: Snow is in the forecast with a 20% chance. The day will be mostly sunny with a high near 40 and a west-northwest wind of 5–10 mph.
- Friday Night: There’s a 50% chance of snow. It will be mostly cloudy with a low around 18.
- Saturday: Snow continues to be likely with a 50% chance. Expect mostly cloudy skies and a high near 30.
- Saturday Night: There’s a slight chance of snow before midnight. The night will be partly cloudy with a low around 13.
- Sunday: The sun returns with sunny skies and a high near 34.
- Sunday Night: Expect partly cloudy skies with a low of around 17.
- Monday: The day will be mostly sunny with a high near 38.
- Monday Night: Skies will be partly cloudy with a low of around 19.
- Tuesday: Look forward to mostly sunny skies with a high near 38.