Over 999,000 readers this year!

Leandro Dominguez pleads guilty to assault charges in Dunn Avenue shooting

Leandro Dominguez (Laramie County Sheriff's Office)

CHEYENNE, Wyo. — In a recent court appearance, Leandro Dominguez, 18, pleaded guilty to charges stemming from a deadly altercation earlier this year.

Dominguez pleaded guilty to one count of aggravated assault with a weapon and one count of aggravated assault with serious injury on June 24 in District Court. As part of a plea agreement, both sides will argue for an undetermined imposed sentence with a recommendation to the Youthful Offender Program. The sentences for both charges would run concurrently

Upon successful completion of the program, it is recommended that the remaining sentence be suspended for probation. One count of attempted murder and one count of aggravated assault and battery with a weapon will be dismissed at sentencing, which is scheduled for Sept. 23.

The charges against Dominguez arose from a violent confrontation on Dunn Avenue on Feb. 15. The incident led to the death of 22-year-old Mauricio Dominguez Jr. and injuries to Leandro Dominguez and another individual, 24-year-old James Gulley, according to court records.

During his initial court appearance on Feb. 20, Dominguez was held on a $100,000 cash bond. The altercation began when Gulley, parked near East 2nd Avenue and Dunn Avenue, was approached by the Dominguez brothers. A dispute escalated, resulting in Mauricio brandishing a pipe wrench and Gulley responding with gunfire, which led to Mauricio’s death.

Following his brother’s death, Leandro retrieved a firearm from his residence and returned to the scene, engaging in a shootout with Gulley. Both sustained non-life-threatening injuries and were taken to the hospital by ambulance. Police documents confirmed that despite several bystanders in the area, no other injuries were reported.

This incident, occurring in a residential neighborhood, prompted precautionary security measures at nearby Alta Vista and Arp elementary schools. Although the schools were not directly involved, additional officers were stationed as a precaution.