Over 800,000 readers this year!

Firefighters respond to chlorine gas exposure incident

(Courtesy of Cheyenne Firefighters)

CHEYENNE, Wyo. — Cheyenne Fire Rescue responded to a hazmat incident on Monday that saw seven people suffer injuries after cleaning products were accidentally combined to create chlorine gas.

The incident occurred on the 1900 block of Pioneer Avenue.

Once on site, CFR crews isolated the area and conducted air monitoring tests to ensure air quality returned to safe levels, below the permissible exposure limits.


CFR was dispatched at 10:36 a.m. and cleared the scene roughly an hour later. Individuals who sustained inhalation injuries were transported to Cheyenne Regional Medical Center.

On scene alongside CFR were members of the Laramie County Sheriff’s Department and American Medical Response. Officials determined that the incident was unitentional.

CFR asks the public to use caution with cleaning chemicals and to never mix chemicals unless a manufacturer’s label specifically allows for it.