Do you have what it takes to lead Wyoming’s top news sites?
Oil City News LLC, Wyoming’s largest online-only news organization, is seeking a Managing Editor to lead our team of award-winning reporters in Casper, Cheyenne, Gillette and Wyoming’s Big Horn Basin.
At OilCity.news, CapCity.news and County17.com, we’re passionate about community, collaboration and innovation. We believe that access to high-quality, up-to-the-minute news strengthens our communities, which is why we’re committed to providing accurate, fast and free journalism.
As Managing Editor, you’ll lead our newsrooms to new heights by coordinating the efforts of reporters in communities all across the state. Your leadership, editorial vision and mentoring abilities will help us continue to grow our audience of millions on web, mobile, social and email platforms.
To succeed in this role, you’ll need firsthand experience as a member of a news or media organization and excellent communication skills. You should embrace experimentation, strive for excellence and be willing to roll up your sleeves to help your team produce the very best possible results. Your specific responsibilities will include:
- Running day-to-day newsroom operations, from managing editorial calendar to conducting team meetings for a growing team of OilCity.news, CapCity.news and County17.com reporters
- Plotting the strategic direction of the newsroom that ensures audience reach, growth and engagement
- Developing and enforcing ethical newsroom policies and standards
- Improving overall quality of coverage
- Continuing to innovate news-gathering processes
- Assisting in reporter recruitment
- Mentoring new reporters
- Monitoring news developments in Wyoming communities
- Ensuring adherence to journalistic and legal standards
- Attending press conferences, briefings, and public meetings as needed
- Attending community events
- Contributing to community promotion and engagement strategies
- Monitoring discussions and trends within communities on brand platforms, including social media
- Responding to incoming tips and questions from readers
- Staying up-to-date on professional newsroom tools, techniques and technology
- Experience or formal training as a journalist or editor with a reputable news organization
- Must live in or be willing to relocate to Wyoming — preferably Casper, Cheyenne or Gillette
- Excellent written communication skills
- Ability to write, edit and/or provide feedback to team members quickly and accurately
- Experienced social media user with an active Facebook account and working knowledge of Twitter and Instagram (Bonus points for TikTok!)
- Passionate about building community
- Positive attitude
- $50K–$65K starting salary, depending on experience
- Paid vacation earned incrementally, starting with 10 days in year one
- 10 paid holidays each year: New Year’s Eve, New Year’s Day, Good Friday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Black Friday, Christmas Day, and Christmas Eve
- Health and dental insurance
- IRA (employer matches your contributions)
About Oil City News LLC:
Oil City News LLC is a Wyoming-owned publishing company that operates popular online-only news platforms in Casper, Cheyenne, Gillette, Sheridan and Cody, Wyoming. We pride ourselves on serving Wyoming’s largest local news audience with accurate, fast and free coverage of the stories that matter most. We believe our reporting strengthens our communities and we seek to continually improve. Our headquarters is located in Casper, Wyoming — home to a mountain, a lake, a river, a whitewater park, an extensive trail system and a ski area just a few minutes from our office.
Send your résumé, cover letter and at least three samples of your written work to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please. TELECOMMUTERS NEED NOT APPLY.