Boaters reminded to register to enjoy Wyoming waters this summer - Cheyenne, WY Cap City News
Cap City News Logo

Boaters reminded to register to enjoy Wyoming waters this summer

Boaters enjoying a late summer day, boating near Fremont Canyon at Alcova Reservoir (File Photo; Trevor T. Trujillo, Oil City News)

CASPER, Wyo. — With the Memorial Day weekend and the summer approaching, the Wyoming Game and Fish Department are reminding people they need to register their boats before enjoying waters in the state.

“Be sure to register your watercraft and purchase an Aquatic Invasive Species (AIS) decal online to be ready to enjoy the weekend,” Game and Fish said on Wednesday, May 20. “All motorized watercraft operating on Wyoming waters are required to have a current watercraft registration and AIS decal.”

Game and Fish provide information on how to register new watercraft or renew registration online. New registrations and renewals can also be completed via mail. People registering online should keep their receipt as proof until receiving registration and decals.

Article continues below...

“Register your boat early and know you’ll be able to relax on the water,” said Jennifer Doering, the Wyoming Game and Fish Department license section manager. “You should allow 10 days from when you register your boat online to receive your registration and decals.”

Newly purchased or boats purchased used require a county issued title and proof that Wyoming sales taxes have been paid.

“Owners are permitted to operate their new watercraft for only 30 days after the purchase with a notarized bill of sale,” Game and Fish says. “Any watercraft that has changed ownership may require law enforcement to verify the Hull Identification Numbers (HIN) for accuracy prior to titling. For this situation, watercraft can be registered at the Cheyenne Headquarters or any regional office. Please call ahead before coming to a Game and Fish office and practice social distancing.”

“If the watercraft was previously registered in another state, Game and Fish can accept a current non-Wyoming title or current non-Wyoming watercraft registration in the watercraft owner’s name at any regional office or Cheyenne Headquarters to register your boat in Wyoming. Any watercraft purchased outside Wyoming must undergo an Aquatic Invasive Species inspection prior to being launched.”

This article originally appeared on Oil City News. Used with permission.